The Honor Society of Nursing - Sigma Theta Tau International, chartered the Pi Chapter on June 2, 1959, in Whitehurst Hall at the University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, Md. Dr. Lois Austin, of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania presented the charter to P. Dale Every. Dr. Austin was assisted by Dr. Edna Treasure of Washington, D.C.
The first officers were:
- PRESIDENT - P. Dale Every
- VICE-PRESIDENT - Rhetta King
- SECRETARY - Mary Lombardi
- TREASURER - Kathryn S. Wohlsen
- ARCHIVIST - Ellen Foster
- COUNSELLOR - Mary E. Grotefend & Marguerite Hydron
The new Pi Chapter, of Sigma Theta Tau, Inc., was the first to be established in Maryland. Ninety charter members were initiated during the Installation Ceremonies.