Four Awarded Emeritus Status at the University of Maryland School of Nursing
Baltimore, Md. – The University of Maryland School of Nursing recently conferred Emeritus status upon a former dean and three former faculty members. Dean and Professor Emeritus Nan B. Hechenberger, PhD, RN, served as dean of the School of Nursing from 1978 to 1989. During her tenure as dean, one of the nation's first doctoral programs designated for nurses was established, the School's first strategic plan was initiated, the first Board of Visitors was appointed and the world's first master's program in nursing informatics was introduced. Prior to serving as dean, Dr. Hechenberger taught in the administration and education component of the graduate program and in the Walter Reed Army Institute of Nursing (WRAIN) program.
Professor Emeritus Ann Ottney Cain, PhD, RN, CSP, FAAN, served more than 30 years as a member of the School's faculty, beginning in 1959 as a clinical instructor in the psychiatric component of the undergraduate program and retiring in 1994 as associate dean for graduate studies and research. Dr. Cain was a pioneer and self-proclaimed maverick in the early days of psychiatric nursing and family therapy, and in 1967, she broke new ground by declaring family therapy a professional option for psychiatric advanced practice nurses. An endowed lecture in psychiatric nursing, named in her honor, is held annually at the School.
Professor Emeritus Lisa Robinson, PhD, MS ‘65, CS-P, FAAN, a graduate of the School of Nursing's Master of Science program, began her career as a faculty member at the School in 1970. She later served in various administrative roles, including interim department chair and coordinator of the graduate program in psychiatric mental health nursing. Dr. Robinson is an originator and champion of the role of psychiatric consultation-liaison nurse, and produced a documentary film that garnered appreciation for the unique contributions of nurses in this role.
Professor Emeritus Betty Shubkagel, PhD, BSN '54, RN, is a graduate of the School of Nursing's Bachelor of Science in Nursing program. Her tenure at the School spanned nearly three decades, beginning in 1957 as a faculty member in the undergraduate program. When Dr. Shubkagel retired in 1985, she was chair of the Medical-Surgical graduate program, and had developed the School's Gerontology and Trauma/Critical graduate programs. She is co-author of the classic pharmacology text, Pharmacology & Therapeutics, first published in 1965.
“Each of these individuals has made a major impact on the nursing profession and on our School,” says Janet D. Allan, PhD, RN, CS, FAAN, dean of the School of Nursing. “In honoring these scholars, we honor the values of education, research, service and leadership to the School, the community and the nursing profession.