Valerie E. Rogers, PhD, RN, CPNP
Assistant Professor, FCH
- Post-doctoral Fellowship, Center for Sleep and Circadian Neurobiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 2011
- PhD, Nursing Science, University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, 2009
- MS, Pediatric Advanced Practice (Primary Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Program), University of Maryland School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, 1997
- BS, Nursing, Michigan State University, E. Lansing, MI, 1975
- Principal Investigator, Sleep Disturbances in Neurobehaviorally Challenged Children with Sickle Cell Disease: A Pilot Study (2013-2014)
- Principal Investigator, Comparative Measurement of Periodic Limb Movements in Sleep Between Polysomnography and Actigraphy in Children with Sickle Cell Disease (2010-2011)
- Project Manager, Sleep Loss, Sleepiness and Neurocognition in 12-Hour Nurses (Geiger-Brown, PI; 2006-2009)
- Geiger-Brown, J., Rogers, V.E., Han, K., Trinkoff, A.T., Bausell, R.B., Scharf, S.M. (2013). Occupational Screening for Sleep Disorders in 12-hour Shift Nurses Using the Berlin Questionnaire. Sleep & Breathing, 17(1), 381-388. DOI 10.1007/s11325-012-0705-3.
- Rogers, V.E., Gallagher, P.R., Marcus, C.L., Ohene-Frempong, K., Traylor, J.T., Mason, T.B.A. (2012) Capturing PLMS and their variability in children with sickle cell disease: Does ankle activity monitoring measure up to polysomnography? Sleep Medicine, 13(8):1013-20. DOI 10.1016/j.sleep.2012.06.016.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Rogers, V.E., Trinkoff, A., Kane, R., Bausell, R.B., Scharf, S.M. (2012). Sleep, sleepiness, fatigue and performance of 12-hour shift nurses. Chronobiology International, 29(2), 211-219.
- Rogers, V.E., Marcus, C.L., Jawad, A.F., Smith-Whitley, K., Ohene-Frempong, K., Bowdre, C., Allen, J., Arens, R., Mason, T.B.A. (2011). Periodic limb movements and disrupted sleep in children with sickle cell disease. Sleep 34(7), 899-908.
- Geiger-Brown J., Trinkoff A., Rogers V.E. (2011). The impact of work schedules, home, and work demands on self-reported sleep in registered nurses. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 53(3), 303-307.
- Rogers, V.E. (2011). Living life on the dark side: Delayed sleep phase disorder. The American Journal for Nurse Practitioners 15(7/8), 23-25,30-32.
- Rogers, V.E., Lewin, D.S., Winnie, G., Geiger-Brown, J. (2010). Polysomnographic characteristics of a referred sample of children with sickle cell disease. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 6(4), 374-381.
- Resnick, B., Galik, B., Pretzer-Aboff, I., Rogers, V., Gruber-Baldini, A.L. (2008). Testing the reliability and validity of self-efficacy and outcome expectations of restorative care performed by nursing assistants. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 23(2), 162-169.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Rogers, V., Trinkoff, A., Selby, V. (2008). Work schedules and stress among health professionals. Chapter 10 in: J.R.B. Halbesleben, (Ed.). Handbook of stress and burnout in health care (pp. 127-140). Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc.
- Resnick, B., Rogers, V.E., Galik, B., Gruber-Baldini, A.L. (2007). Measuring restorative care provided by nursing assistants: Reliability and validity of the Restorative Care Behavior Checklist. Nursing Research, 56(6), 387-98.
- Rogers, V.E. (2007). Care of the child with an ostomy. Chapter 8 in: N.T. Browne, L.M. Flanigan, C.A. McComiskey, & P. Pieper (Eds.). Nursing care of the pediatric surgical patient (2nd ed., pp. 105-129). Boston: Jones & Bartlett Publishing.
- Rogers, V.E. (2007). Wound management in neonates, children, and adolescents. Chapter 34 in: N.T. Browne, L.M. Flanigan, C.A. McComiskey, & P. Pieper (Eds.). Nursing care of the pediatric surgical patient (2nd ed., pp. 477-493). Boston: Jones & Bartlett Publishing.
- Borkowski, S., Rogers, V.E. (2004). Similar gastrostomy peristomal skin irritations in three pediatric patients. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing, 31(4), 201-206.
- Rogers, V.E. Managing preemie stomas: More than just the pouch. (2003). Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing, 30(2), 100-110.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- NURS 611: Pediatric Assessment in Advanced Practice Nursing
- NURS 743: Neonatal and Pediatric Pharmacology
Academic & Professional Activities:
- Member, Admissions and Progression Committee for PhD Students, University of Maryland School of Nursing
- Member, Dissertation Committee