Rosemary F. Riel, MAA
- MAA, Master of Applied Anthropology, University of Maryland College Park, 2002
- BA, Anthropology with Folklore Studies minor, The Ohio State University, Columbus, 1997
- Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Beijing, Spring 1997
I broadly define my professional interests as applied research and implementation science utilizing social science methodology for international development, project design and training, program monitoring and evaluation. I am dedicated to global health initiatives targeting prevention, education, local capacity building and regional planning. I pursue opportunities to implement community-based approaches and integrate participatory decision-making into public health practice and health systems strengthening. Special topics of interest include: gender, health inequities, adolescent reproductive health, HIV/AIDS prevention, care and support, health care workforce training, and nursing capacity building.
Global health collaborative projects:
- (HP-00041216) Expanding the Nursing Role in Health Care In Developing Countries: A Qualitative Investigation of Task Shifting in HIV Clinics Among Nurses and Physicians in Nigeria
- (HP-00046073) Examining the Impact of Changes in Practice Patterns of Nurses and Physicians on Patient Outcomes in a Nigerian Teaching Hospital and Community Based Primary Health Centers : A Retrospective Record Review
- (HP-00049812) Evaluating a Care Delivery Process Change for HIV/AIDS in Outpatient Primary Care Center Using a Standardized Patient Satisfaction Questionnaire
- (HP-00053048) Factors Influencing the Choice of Birth Attendants - Kenya
- Pham, Van, H. Nguyen, L.H. Tho, T. T. Minh, P. Lerdboon, R. Riel, M. Green, L. Kaljee. (2012). Evaluation of Three Adolescent Sexual Health Programs in Ha Noi and Khanh Hoa Province, Viet Nam. AIDS Research and Treatment (Accepted for publication).
- Kaljee, L.M., Green, M., Lerdboon, P., Riel, R., Pham, V., Tho, L.H., Ha, N.T.V., Minh, T.T., Li, X., Chen, X. & Stanton, B. (2011). Parent-youth communication and concordance between parents and adolescents reported engagement in social relationships and sexually intimate behaviors in Ha Noi and Khanh Hoa Province Viet Nam. Journal of Adolescent Health 48(3): 268-74.
- Kaljee, L. M, Green, M., Zhan, M., Riel, R., Lerdboon, P., Lostutter, T.W., Tho, L.H., Luong, V.V. & Minh, T.T. (2011). Gender, alcohol consumption patterns, and engagement in sexually intimate behaviors among adolescents and young adults in Nha Trang, Viet Nam. Youth & Society 43(1): 118-141.
- Johnson, J.V., Iwu, E.N., Riel, R., Ogbolu, Y. & Moen, M. (2010). Preparing Nurses for Leadership Roles in Global Health: The University of Maryland School of Nursing’s New Post-Master’s Certificate in Global Health. Nursing and Midwifery Links: Official Publication of the Global Network of WHO Collaborating Centers for Nursing and Midwifery Development, page 38-39.
- Koons, A.B., McNeil, M., Ogbolu, Y., Bordlon, P., Riel, R. & Johnson, J.V., (2010). Mental Health Nursing in Latin America: Exploring Trends in Workforce Development. Nursing and Midwifery Links: Official Publication of the Global Network of WHO Collaborating Centers for Nursing and Midwifery Development, page 20-21.
- Sur, D., Manna,B., Chakrabarty, N., Kaljee, L.M., Riel, R., Pach, A., Kanungo, S., Deen, J., Ochiai, R.L., Clemens, J.& Bhattacharya, S.K. (2009). Vaccine Desirability during an Effectiveness Trial of the Typhoid Fever Polysaccharide Vi Vaccine, Kolkata, India. Human Vaccine 5(9):614-620.
- Lerdboon, P., Pham, V., Green, M., Riel, R., Tho, L.H., Ha, N.T.V. & Kaljee, L.M. (2008). Strategies for Developing Gender-Specific HIV Prevention for Adolescents in Viet Nam. AIDS Education and Prevention 20(5): 384-398.
- Kaljee, L.M., Green, M., Riel, R., Lerdboon, P., Tho, L.H., Thoa, L.T.K. & Minh, T.T. (2007). Sexual stigma, sexual behaviors, and abstinence among Vietnamese adolescents: implications for risk and protective behaviors for HIV, STIs, and unwanted pregnancy. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 18(2): 48-59.
- Kaljee, L.M., Genberg, B., Riel, R., Cole, M., Tho, L.H., Thoa, L.T.K, Stanton, B., Li, X., & Minh, T.T. (2005). Effectiveness of a theory based risk-reduction HIV prevention program for rural Vietnamese adolescents. AIDS Education and Prevention 17(3): 185-199.
- Co-course Instructor, NURS 622 Health Systems and Population Health (2011-current)
- Co-course Instructor, NRSG 610 Global Health Seminar (2010-current)
- Course Coordinator, NRSG 611 Global Health Field Experience (2010-current)
- Course Coordinator, NURS 418/678 Essentials & Practice in Global Health Nursing (2011-2012)
- Course Coordinator , NURS 769 Society, Health and Social Justice (2009-2010)
- Course Coordinator, PREV 664/NRSG 664 Critical Issues in Global Health (2008-2010)
- Society for Applied Anthropology (SfAA)
- American Anthropology Association (AAA)
- Consortium of Universities for Global Health (institutional member)