Robin Newhouse, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN
Chair, Organizational Systems and Adult Health
- PhD, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 2000
- MS, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 1999
- MGA, University of Maryland University College, College Park, MD, 1991
- BSN, University of Maryland Baltimore County, 1987
- AA, Anne Arundel Community College, Arnold, MD, 1976
- Principal Investigator, Nurse-Led Intervention to improve screening and treatment for substance abuse: An RCT of hospitals. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. (2010-2012)
- Principal Investigator, Improving Heart Failure Outcomes. American Nurses Credentialing Center. (2010-2013)
- Principal Investigator, Rural Hospital Quality Collaborative on Evidence-Based Nursing, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (2007-2009)
- Principal Investigator, An Assessment of The Safety, Quality, and Effectiveness of Care Provided By Advanced Practice Nurses, Tri-Council for Nursing (2008-2009)
- Principal Investigator, Rural Hospital Nursing: Environment, Effects & Evidence, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (2005-2008)
- Newhouse, R.P. Enhancing the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program to Improve Healthcare for Underserved Populations of Maryland. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Advanced Nursing Education Grant (1 D09HP22635-01-00). July 1, 2011- June 31, 2013.
- Newhouse, R.P., Weiner, J.P., Stanik-Hutt, J., White, J.M., Johantgen, M., Steinwachs, D., Bass, E., Zangaro, G. Implications for Optimizing Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Use Nationally. (2012). Policy, Politics and Nursing Practice. Pre-release article available on PPNP website online.
- Wilson, M.L., Newhouse, R.P. (2012). Meaningful Use: Intersections with Evidence-based Practice and Outcomes. Journal of Nursing Administration, 42(9), 395-398.
- Seidl, K., Newhouse, R. The Intersection of Evidence-based Practice with Five Quality Improvement Methodologies. (2012), Journal of Nursing Administration, 42(6), 299-304.
- Basch, E. Aronson, N., Berg, A., Flum, D., Gabriel, S., Goodman, S.N., Helfand, M. Ioannidis, J.P., Lauer, M., Meltzer, D., Mittman, B., Newhouse, R., Normand, S.L., Schneeweiss, S., Slutsky, J., Tinetti, M., Yancy, C. (2012). Methodological Standards and Patient-Centeredness in Comparative Effectiveness Research: The PCORI Perspective. Methodology Committee, JAMA, 307(15), 1636-1640.
- Monsen, K.A., Bekemeier, B., Newhouse, R.P., Scutchfield, F.D. (2012). Development of a Public Health Nursing Data Infrastructure. Public Health Nursing, 29(4), 343-351.
- Johantgen, M., Fountain, L., Zangaro, G., Newhouse, R.P., Stanik-Hutt, J., White, K. Comparison of Labor and Delivery Care Provided by Certified Nurse-Midwives and Physicians: A Systematic Review 1990-2008. (January/February, 2012). Women's Health Issues, 22(1), e73-381. doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2011.06.005.
- Newhouse, R.P., Graling, P., Seifert, P. & Pettit-Willis, B.J. (2012). Take Aim at Medical Errors by Creating a Culture of Safety in the OR. NURSE.com/Perioperative. Spring, 56-61. Available at http://www.nurse.com/ce/CE466.
- Newhouse, R., Dennison, C., Liang, Y. Psychometric Testing of the Smoking Cessation Counseling (SCC) Scale. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 43(4), 405-11 doi 10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01420.x.
- Newhouse, R.P, White, K. Guiding Implementation: Frameworks and Resources for Evidence Translation. (2011). Journal of Nursing Administration, 41(12), 513–516 doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e3182378bb0.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2011). County and State Quality Data to Inform Expanded Roles for Nursing's Future. Journal of Nursing Administration, 41(9): 343-346.
- Johantgen, M., Fountain, L., Zangaro, G., Newhouse, R.P., Stanik-Hutt, J., White, K. Comparison of Labor and Delivery Care Provided by Certified Nurse-Midwives and Physicians: A Systematic Review 1990-2008. (2011). Women's Health Issues, in press. Pre-release article available at: http://www.whijournal.com/article/S1049-3867(11)00160-5/abstract.
- Newhouse, R.P., Stanik-Hutt, J., White, K. M., Johantgen, M., Bass, E., Zangaro, G., Wilson, R., Fountain, L., Steinwachs, D., Heindel, L., Weiner, J.P. Advanced Practice Nurse Outcomes 1990-2008: A Systematic Review. Nursing Economic$, in press September/October. Pre-release article available at: https://www.nursingeconomics.net/ce/2013/article3001021.pdf.
- Newhouse, R.P. Morlock, L., Pronovost, P., Breckenridge-Sproat. S. Rural Hospital Nursing: Results of a National Survey of Nurse Executives. (2011) Journal of Nursing Administration, 41(3), 129-137.
- Newhouse, R.P. Dennison, C, & Liang, Y., Morlock, L., Frick, K., Pronovost, P. Smoking Cessation Counseling by Registered Nurses: Description and Predictors in Rural Hospitals. (2011). American Nurse Today Online, 6(6). Available at: http://www.americannursetoday.com/Article.aspx?id=7902&fid=7870.
- Newhouse, R.P. & Spring, B. Interdisciplinary Evidence-based Practice: Moving from Silos to Synergy. Nursing Outlook, 58(6), 309-317.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2010). Instruments to Assess Organizational Readiness for Evidence-based Practice. Journal of Nursing Administration, 40(10), 404-407.
- Ciliska, D., DiCenso, A., Melnyk, B.M., Fineout-Overholt, E., Stetler, C.B., Cullen, L., Larrabee, J.H., Schultz, A.A., Rycroft-Malone, J., Newhouse, R.P. & Dang, D. (2010). Johns Hopkins Nursing Evidence Based Practice Model. In Evidence-based Practice in Nursing & Healthcare: a guide to Best Practice, 2nd edition. Chapter 11: Models of Evidence-Based Practice, 241-275.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2010). Establishing Organizational Infrastructure. In Poe and White (eds) Johns Hopkins Nursing Evidence-Based Practice Implementation and Translation (Chapter 3). Sigma Theta Tau International: Indianapolis, IN.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2010). Do we know how much the evidence-based intervention cost? Journal of Nursing Administration, 40(7/8), 296-299.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2010). Clinical guidelines for nursing practice: Are we there yet? Journal of Nursing Administration,40(2), 57-59.
- Newhouse, R.P. & Johnson, K. (2009). A Case Study in Evaluating Infrastructure for EBP and selecting a model. Journal of Nursing Administration, 39(10), 409-411.
- Satterfield, J., Spring, B., Brownson, R.C., Mullen, E., Newhouse, R., Walker, B. Whitlock, E. (2009). Toward a Transdisciplinary Model of Evidence-Based Practice, Milbank Quarterly, 87(2), 368-390.
- Newhouse, R.P., Morlock, L., Pronovost, P., Colantuoni, E., Johantgen, M. (2009). Rural Hospital Nursing: Better Environments =Higher Shared Vision and Higher Quality and Safety Engagement. Journal of Nursing Administration,39(4), 189-195.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2009). Economy increases need for EBP-savvy nurses. Reflections on Nursing Leadership, 35(3). Available at: http://www.reflectionsonnursingleadership.com/Pages/Vol35_3_Newhouse.aspx.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2009). Nursing's Role in Engineering a Learning Healthcare System. Journal of Nursing Administration, 39(6), 260-262.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2009). Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Health Care Innovations Exchange. Journal of Nursing Administration, 39(3), 103-105
- Newhouse, R.P. (2008) Evidence-Based Behavioral Practice: An Exemplar of Interprofessional Collaboration. Journal of Nursing Administration, 38(10), 414-416.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2008) Evidence Driving Quality Initiatives: The Maryland Hospital Association Collaborative on Nurse Retention. Journal of Nursing Administration, 38(6), 268-271.
- Dearholt, S., White, K, Newhouse, R.P., Pugh, L., Poe, S.(2008). Educational Strategies to Develop Evidence-Based Practice Mentors. Journal for Nurses in Staff Development, 24(2, 53-59).
- Newhouse, R.P. (2008). Evidence synthesis: The good, the bad and the ugly. Journal of Nursing Administration, 38(3), 107-111.
- Mamaril, M.E., Sullivan, E., Clifford, T.L., Newhouse, R., Windle, P.E. (2007). Safe staffing for the post anesthesia care unit: Weighing the evidence and identifying the gaps. Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing, 22(6), 393-9.
- Newhouse, R.P., Dearholt, S., Poe, S., Pugh, L.C., White, K. (2007). Johns Hopkins Nursing Evidence-Based Practice Model and Guidelines. Sigma Theta Tau International: Indianapolis, IN.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2007). Using the PNDS for Quality Improvement and Research in Peioperative Nursing Data Set, 2nd ed, pp 158-163. American Organization of periOperative Nurses: Denver
- Newhouse, R.P., Dearholt, S., Poe, S., Pugh, L.C., White, K. (2007). Organizational Change Strategies for Evidence-based Practice. Journal of Nursing Administration, 37(12), 552-557.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2007). Diffusing Confusion Among Evidence-based Practice, Quality Improvement and Research, Journal of Nursing Administration, 37(10), 432-435
- Newhouse, R.P., Steinhauser, M, Berk, R. (2007). Development of an Unlicensed Assistive Personnel Job Screening Test. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 15(1), 36-45.
- Newhouse, R.P., (2007). Accelerating improvement: Implications of the Institute of Medicine report for nurse executives, JONA, 37(6), 264-268.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2007). Collaborative Synergy: Practice and Academic Partnerships in Evidence-based Practice. JONA, 37(3), 105-108.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2007). Creating Infrastructure Supportive Of Evidence-Based Nursing Practice: Leadership Strategies. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, 4(1), 21-29.
- Newhouse, R.P., Hoffman, J.J., Suflita, J., Hairston, D.P. (2007). Evaluating an Innovative Program to Improve New Nurse Graduate Socialization Into the Acute Health Care Setting. NAQ, 31(1), 50-60.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- Research, Evidence-based Practice, Outcomes measurement
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Academic & Professional Activities:
- 2012-2015: Member, AcademyHealth Alice S. Hersh New Investigator Award Selection Committee
- 2011-Present: Member, Methodology Committee of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI)
- 2009-2013: Chair, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing Research and Scholarship Advisory Council
- 2008-Present: Member, Research Council, American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- 2007-Present: Invited member of the Council for Training in Evidence-Based Behavioral Practice (EBBP), Northwestern University, Department of Preventative Medicine., Chicago, IL.
- 2010: Member, Planning Committee for the 2011 Annual Research Meeting (ARM) for AcademyHealth.
- 2010: University of Maryland Medical Center Nursing Excellence Award for University of Maryland School of Nursing Colleague
- 2008-2009: Member, Perioperative Nursing Dataset Task Force, Association of periOperative Registered Nurses
- 2008-2009: Member, The Patient Safety and Quality Advisory Committee, American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE).
- 2008: American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses, Mary Hanna Award for Journalism
- 2007: Maryland Nurses Association Outstanding Pathfinder Award2007: American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses, President's Certificate of Appreciation
- 2007: Chair of Review Committee for Research Utilization Award, Sigma Theta Tau International
- 2006-2008: Secretary, Interdisciplinary Research Group on Nursing Issues (IRGNI), AcademyHealth Interest Group
- 2005-2007: Chair, Chesapeake Consortium for Region 12 Sigma Theta Tau
- 2005: Sigma Theta Tau International Award for Research Utilization
- 2004: Sigma Theta Tau Pinnacle Award for Research Utilization in Region 12
- 1999: American Nurses Foundation Scholar