Robin Newhouse, PhD, RN, NEA-BC, FAAN
Chair, Organizational Systems and Adult Health
- PhD, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 2000
- MS, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 1999
- MGA, University of Maryland University College, College Park, MD, 1991
- BSN, University of Maryland Baltimore County, 1987
- AA, Anne Arundel Community College, Arnold, MD, 1976
- Newhouse, R.P. (co-investigator). PATient-centered Involvement in Evaluating the effectiveNess of TreatmentS (PATIENTS) Program. AHRQ, (1R24 HS22135-01), 7/1/13-6/30/18. (Mullins-PI)
- Newhouse, R.P .(PI). Improving Heart Failure Outcomes in Rural Hospitals (PATIENTS subproject). AHRQ. 7/1/13-6/30/14.
- Principal Investigator, Nurse-Led Intervention to improve screening and treatment for substance abuse: An RCT of hospitals. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. (2010-2012)
- Principal Investigator, Improving Heart Failure Outcomes. American Nurses Credentialing Center. (2010-2013)
- Principal Investigator, An Assessment of the Safety, Quality, and Effectiveness of Care Provided By Advanced Practice Nurses. Tri-Council for Nursing and the APRN Alliance. (2008–2009)
- Principal Investigator, Rural Hospital Quality Collaborative on Evidence-Based Nursing. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. (2007-2009)
- Principal Investigator, Rural Hospital Nursing: Environment, Effects & Evidence. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (2006-2008)
- Principal Investigator, Smoking Cessation Intense Nursing Interventions (SCINI) and the Quality of Smoking Cessation Efforts in Maryland. Maryland Cigarette Restitution Fund Grant at The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions. (2007)
- Principal Investigator, Forging Collaboration: Enhancing Evidence-based Practice between Nurses and Physicians, Health Services Cost Review Commission (HSCRC). (2004-June 2005)
- Principal Investigator,. Developing a Survey of the Effect of Environment and Organizational Changes on Nursing in Rural Hospitals. Sigma Theta Tau International. (2004-2005)
- Principal Investigator. The Relationship Between OR Staffing Characteristics and Patient Outcomes in Abdominal Aortic Surgery, Association of periOperative Registered Nurses (AORN), (2002-2004)
- Co-Investigator. The Relationship of System Integration and Nursing Development, Mary Etta Mills (PI), American Nurses Foundation. (1999-2000)
- Newhouse, R.P. Enhancing the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program to Improve Healthcare for Underserved Populations of Maryland. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Advanced Nursing Education Grant (1 D09HP22635-01-00). July 1, 2011- June 31, 2014.
- Collins, S, Newhouse, R.P., Porter, J., Talsma, A. Applying James Reason's Swiss Cheese Model and Surgical Safety Checklist to Improve Safety in the Operating Room: a Review of the Safety Literature, AORN Journal, in press.
- Jones, K., Newhouse, R.P., Johnson, K., Seidl, K. Achieving Quality Health Outcomes through the Implementation of a Spontaneous Awakening and Spontaneous Breathing Trial Protocol, AACN Advanced Critical Care, in press.
- Qi, Y., Xiang, Y., An,E., Wang,J., Zeng, J, Ungvari, G.S., Newhouse, R., Yu, D., Lai, K., Ding, Y., Yu, L., Zhang, X., Chiu, H. (2013) Nurses’work-related stress in China: a comparison between psychiatric and general hospitals. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, doi: 10.1111/ppc.12020.
- Johantgen, M., Newhouse, R. P. (2013). Participating in a Multi-Hospital Study to Promote Adoption of Heart Failure Guidelines: Lessons Learned for Nurse Leaders. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(12), 660-666. doi:10.1097/NNA.0000000000000008.
- Harris, A.D., Pineles, L., Belton, B., Johnson, J.K., Shardell, M., Loeb, M., Newhouse, R., Dembry, L., Braun, B., Perencevich, E.N., Hall, K.K., Morgan, D.J. and the benefits of universal Glove and Gown (BUGG) Investigators. (2013). Universal Glove and Gown use and Acquisition of Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria in the ICU: A Randomized Trial. JAMA, 310(15), 1571-1580. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.27815.
- Hickey, J.V., Unruh, L.R., Newhouse, R.P., Koithan, M., Johantgen, M.E., Hughes, R., Haller, K., Lundmark, V. (2013). Credentialing: The Need for a National Research Agenda. Nursing Outlook. Available online Epub ahead of print available at: http://nursingoutlook.org/inpress. doi: 10.1016/j.outlook.2013.10.011.
- Uys, L.R., Newhouse, R.P., Oweis, A., Liang, X.L. (2013). Descriptive survey of the contextual support for nursing research in 15 countries. Curationis, 36 (1), available at http://curationis.org.za/index.php/curationis/article/view/126. doi: 10.4102/curationis.v36i1.126
- Zeng, J.Y., An, F.R., Xiang, Y.T., Qi, Y.K., Ungvari, G.S., Newhouse, R., Yu, D.S., Lai, K.Y., Yu, L.Y., Ding, Y.M., Tang, W.K., Wu, P.P., Hou, Z.J., Chiu, H.F. (2013). Frequency and risk factors of workplace violence on psychiatric nurses and its impact on their quality of life in China. Psychiatry Research, 210(2), 510-514. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2013.06.013.
- Newhouse, R., Buckley, K., Grant, M. and Idzik, S. (2013). Reconceptualization of a Doctoral EBP Course from In Class to Blended Format: Lessons Learned from a Successful Transition. Journal of Professional Nursing, 29(4), 225-232. doi:10.1016/j.profnurs.2012.05.019
- Murphy, L., Wilson, M., Newhouse, R.P. (2013) Data Analytics: Making the Most of Input with Strategic Output. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(7-8), 367-370. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e31829d60c7
- Bellamy, J., Spring, B., Mullen, E.J., Satterfield, J.M., Newhouse, R.P., Ferguson, M.J. Implementing Evidence-Based Practice Education in Social Work: A Trans-disciplinary Approach. Research on Social Work Practice, 23(4), 426-436. doi:10.1177/1049731513480528
- Stanik-Hutt, J., Newhouse, R.P., White, K.M., Johantgen, M., Bass, E.B., Zangaro, G., Wilson, R., Fountain, L. Steinwachs, D.M., Heindel, L., Weiner, J.P. (2013). The Quality and Effectiveness of Care Provided by Nurse Practitioners. Journal of Nurse Practitioners, 9(8), 492-500.e13, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2013.07.004
- Wilson, M.L., Murphy, L.S., Newhouse, R.P. (2013). Medication reconciliation across the continuum of care: a meaningful use mandated. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(6), 311-314. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e3182942b33
- Newhouse, R.P. (2013). Advancing Research: American Nurses Credentialing Center's Research Council Mission and Accomplishments. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(5), 243-244. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e31828eeb73
- Newhouse, R.P., Dennison-Himmelfarb, C., Morlock, L., Frick, K., Pronovost, P., Liang, Y. (2013). A Cluster Randomized Trial of Rural Hospitals Testing a Quality Collaborative to Improve Heart Failure Care: Organizational Context Matters. Medical Care, 51(5):396-403, May 2013.doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e318286e32e
- Newhouse, R.P., Bobay, K, Dykes, P.C., Stevens, K.R., Titler, M. (2013). Methodology Issues in Implementation Science. Medical Care, 51,S32-S40. doi: 101097/MLR.0b013e31827feeca
- Lee, M.C., Johnson, K.L., Newhouse, R.P., Warren, J.I. (2013). Evidence-based Practice Process Quality Assessment: EPQA Guidelines. Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, pre-release online available at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1741-6787.2012.00264.x/pdf. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-6787.2012.00264
- Murphy, L., Wilson, M., Newhouse, R.P. (2013) Improving Care Transitions Through Meaningful Use Stage 2: Continuity of Care Documents. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(2), 62-65. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e31827f2076
- Wilson, M., Murphy, L., Newhouse, R.P. (2012). Patient Access to their Health Information: A Meaningful Use Mandate. Journal of Nursing Administration, 42(11), 493-496. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e3182714538
- Newhouse, R.P., Weiner, J.P., Stanik-Hutt, J., White, J.M., Johantgen, M., Steinwachs, D., Bass, E., Zangaro, G. (2012). Implications for Optimizing Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Use Nationally. Policy, Politics and Nursing Practice, 13(2), 81-89. doi: 10.1177/1527154412456299
- Newhouse, R.P., Weiner, J.P., Stanik-Hutt, J., White, J.M., Johantgen, M., Steinwachs, D., Bass, E., Zangaro, G. Implications for Optimizing Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Use Nationally. (2012). Policy, Politics and Nursing Practice. Pre-release article available on PPNP website online.
- Wilson, M.L., Newhouse, R.P. (2012). Meaningful Use: Intersections with Evidence-based Practice and Outcomes. Journal of Nursing Administration, 42(9), 395-398.
- Seidl, K., Newhouse, R. The Intersection of Evidence-based Practice with Five Quality Improvement Methodologies. (2012), Journal of Nursing Administration, 42(6), 299-304.
- Basch, E. Aronson, N., Berg, A., Flum, D., Gabriel, S., Goodman, S.N., Helfand, M. Ioannidis, J.P., Lauer, M., Meltzer, D., Mittman, B., Newhouse, R., Normand, S.L., Schneeweiss, S., Slutsky, J., Tinetti, M., Yancy, C. (2012). Methodological Standards and Patient-Centeredness in Comparative Effectiveness Research: The PCORI Perspective. Methodology Committee, JAMA, 307(15), 1636-1640.
- Monsen, K.A., Bekemeier, B., Newhouse, R.P., Scutchfield, F.D. (2012). Development of a Public Health Nursing Data Infrastructure. Public Health Nursing, 29(4), 343-351.
- Johantgen, M., Fountain, L., Zangaro, G., Newhouse, R.P., Stanik-Hutt, J., White, K. Comparison of Labor and Delivery Care Provided by Certified Nurse-Midwives and Physicians: A Systematic Review 1990-2008. (January/February, 2012). Women's Health Issues, 22(1), e73-381. doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2011.06.005.
- Newhouse, R.P., Graling, P., Seifert, P. & Pettit-Willis, B.J. (2012). Take Aim at Medical Errors by Creating a Culture of Safety in the OR. NURSE.com/Perioperative. Spring, 56-61. Available at http://www.nurse.com/ce/CE466.
- Newhouse, R., Dennison, C., Liang, Y. Psychometric Testing of the Smoking Cessation Counseling (SCC) Scale. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 43(4), 405-11 doi 10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01420.x.
- Newhouse, R.P, White, K. Guiding Implementation: Frameworks and Resources for Evidence Translation. (2011). Journal of Nursing Administration, 41(12), 513–516 doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e3182378bb0.
- Newhouse, R.P. (2p011). County and State Quality Data to Inform Expanded Roles for Nursing's Future. Journal of Nursing Administration, 41(9): 343-346.
- Newhouse, R.P., Stanik-Hutt, J., White, K. M., Johantgen, M., Bass, E., Zangaro, G., Wilson, R., Fountain, L., Steinwachs, D., Heindel, L., Weiner, J.P. Advanced Practice Nurse Outcomes 1990-2008: A Systematic Review. Nursing Economic$, 29(5), 230-251.
- Newhouse, R.P. Dennison, C, & Liang, Y., Morlock, L., Frick, K., Pronovost, P. Smoking Cessation Counseling by Registered Nurses: Description and Predictors in Rural Hospitals. (2011). American Nurse Today Online, 6(6). Available at: http://www.americannursetoday.com/Article.aspx?id=7902&fid=7870.
- Newhouse, R.P. Morlock, L., Pronovost, P., Breckenridge-Sproat. S. Rural Hospital Nursing: Results of a National Survey of Nurse Executives. (2011) Journal of Nursing Administration, 41(3), 129-137.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- Research, Evidence-based Practice, Outcomes measurement
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Academic & Professional Activities:
- 2014-2017: Elected Board Member, Academy Health
- 2013-2014: Appointed Member, Institute of Medicine Standing Committee on Credentialing Research in Nursing
- 2013: Chair, Knowledge Utilization (KU 2013) international conference hosted by University of Maryland
- 2012-2015: Member, AcademyHealth Alice S. Hersh New Investigator Award Selection Committee
- 2011-Present: Member, Methodology Committee of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) (Chair, 2013-Present)
- 2011: Member, University of Maryland School of Nursing Distinguished Alumni Award Committee
- 2010-2012: University of Maryland Nursing (UMNursing) Oversight Committee, Co-Chair of Implementation Team, Joint Partnership between University of Maryland School of Nursing and University of Maryland Medical Center
- 2009-2013: Chair, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing Research and Scholarship Advisory Council
- 2008-Present: Member, Research Council, American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)