Nancy Staggers, PhD, RN, FAAN
- PhD, Informatics, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 1992
- MS, Nursing Administration, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 1985
- BSN, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY, 1974
- 2013-17 $907,600. Role: Co-Investigator. Cognitive Informatics Support of Nurses’ Medication Stewardship. PI: C. Weir. VA HSR&D #CR12-321.
- 2013-14 $41,061. Role: Primary Mentor. Exploring the creation of nurses' informal documentation and use in clinical work. PI: J. Blaz. AHRQ R36. HSO022183-01.
- 9/09-8/11 PI: "Determining Nurses' Cognitive Support for Change of Shift Report." American Nurses Foundation and internal grant from the College of Nursing, University of Utah.
- 2009-11 Co-Investigator: “Rocky Mountain Center for Translational Informatics in Public Health. (M. Samore, PI). Project 2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- 2009-10 Co-I: “Innovative Technology as a Healthy Lifestyle Behavior Catalyst for Young Adults with Intellectual Disabilities.” McGillis Innovative Seed Grant Award, College of Nursing, 12/15/09-1/1/11
- 2009-10 Senior mentor: “Optimizing Family Health History Tools for the National Children’s Study.” National Children’s Study Innovative Program Award.
- 2009-10 PI: Project Management in Health Informatics. Interdisciplinary Teaching Grant Award, University of Utah.
- 2006-08 “Change of Shift Report: Exploring a Handoff Essential to Care Continuity.” University of Utah Incentive Seed Grant Award, 9/1/06-8/31/08.
- 10/06-10/08. Co-PI "Clinicians' Evaluations of the Usability and Automated Clinical Practice Guidelines in AHLTA at Tripler Army Medical Center," Telemedicine and Advanced Technology Research Command, Ft. Detrick, MD.
- 2005-06 Investigator: “A Meta-analysis of Feedback Mechanisms for Clinical Systems.” Veterans Administration Health Services Research (J. Nebeker, PI) # IIR 02-097.
- 2000-05 PI: “Nurses’ Evaluation of Computerized Medication Management,” TriService Nursing Research Program, Bethesda, MD.
- Matney, S., Maddox, L. & Staggers, N. (2013). Nurses as knowledge workers: Is there evidence of knowledge in patient handoffs? Western Journal of Nursing Research. e-publication July 25, 2013.
- Staggers, N., Benham-Hutchins, M., Goncalves, L., & Langford-Heermann, L. (2013). Exploring patient-centered handoffs in surgical oncology. Journal of Participatory Medicine, 5, July 10, 2013 (online journal)
- Staggers, N., Xiao, Y, & Chapman, L. (2013). Debunking health IT usability myths. Applied Clinical Informatics, 4, 241-250. E-pub May 29, 2013.
- Koch, S.H., Weir, C., Westenskow, D., Gondan, M., Agutter, J., Haar, M., Liu, D.,Gorges, M., Staggers, N. (2013). Evaluation of the effect of information integration in displays for ICU nurses on situation awareness and task completion time: A prospective randomized controlled study. International Medical Informatics Association, 82(8), 665-675.
- Staggers, N., & Blaz, J. (2013). Research on nursing handoffs for medical and surgical settings: An integrative review. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 69(2), 1365-2648.
- Koch, S., Weir, C., Haar, M., Staggers, N., Agutter, J., Goerges, M., et al. (2012). ICU nurses’ information needs and recommendations for integrated displays to improve nurses’ situational awareness. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, e-pub March 21, 2012.
- Weir, C., Staggers, N., Laukert, T. (2012). Reviewing the Impact of Computerized Provider Order Entry on Clinical Outcomes: The Quality of Systematic Reviews. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 81, 219-231.E-pub February 20, 2012.
- Gee, P., Kim, K. Perez, S., Greenwood, D., Staggers, N., DeVon, H. (2012). Exploration of the e-patient phenomenon in Nursing Informatics, Nursing Outlook, e-pub ahead of print, January 2, 2012.
Staggers, N., Clark, L., Blaz, J., & Kapsandoy, S. (2012). Nurses' information management and use of electronic tools during acute care handoffs. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 34(2), 151-171. E-pub ahead of print May, 2011.
- Staggers, N., Clark, L. Blaz, J. & Kapsandoy, S. (2011). Why patient summaries in Electronic Health Records do not provide the cognitive support necessary for nurses’ handoffs on medical and surgical units: Insights from interviews and observations. Health Informatics Journal, 17(3), 209-223.
- Staggers, N. (2011). Controversy over creating national measures for EHR usability. Column on Crucial Conversations about Optimal Design Column. Online Journal of Nursing Informatics (OJNI),15(3). Available at http://ojni.org/issues/?p=854.
- Guo, J., Irbarren, S., Kapsadkoy, S., Perri, S., & Staggers, N. (2011). Usability evaluation of an Electronic Medication Administration Record (eMAR). Applied Clinical Informatics, 2(2), 202-224.
- Staggers, N. (2011). The April 2011 Hearing on EHR Usability. Column on Crucial Conversations about Optimal Design Column. Online Journal of Nursing Informatics (OJNI), 15(2). Available at http://ojni.org/issues/?p=542.
- Chang, J., Poynton, M., Gassert, C., & Staggers, N. (2011). Nursing Informatics Competencies Required of Nurses in Taiwan. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 80(5):332-40, e-pub ahead of print, March 18, 2011.
- Matney, S., Sward, K., Cloyes, K., P., & Staggers, N. (2011). Philosophical approaches to the nursing informatics data-information-knowledge-wisdom framework. Advances in Nursing Science, 34(1), 6-18.
- Madison, M., & Staggers, N. (2011). Electronic health records and the regulatory implications on nursing practice. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 1(4), 54-60.
- Staggers, N., Jennings, B.M., & Lasome, C.E.M. (2010). A Usability Assessment of AHLTA in Ambulatory Clinics at a Military Medical Center, Military Medicine, 175(7), 518-24.
- Cho, I., Staggers, N., & Park, S. (2010). Nurses' responses to differing amounts and content of information in a diagnostic, computer-based clinical decision support system. Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 28(2), 95-102.
- Alexander, G.A., & Staggers, N. (2009). A systematic review on the design of clinical technology: Findings and recommendations for future research. Advances in Nursing Science, 32(3), 252-279.
- Staggers, N., & Jennings, B.M. (2009). The content and context of change of shift report on medical and surgical units. Journal of Nursing Administration, 39(9), 393- 398.
- Weir, C., Staggers, N., & Phansalkar, S. (2009). The state of the evidence for computerized provider order entry: A systematic review and analysis of the quality of the literature. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 78(6), 365-74.
- Koivunen M., Valimaki M., Koskinen A, Staggers, N. & Katajisto J. (2009). The impact of individual factors on health care staff's computer use in psychiatric hospitals. The Journal of Clinical Nursing, 18, 1141-1150.
- Staggers, N., & Troseth, M. (2009). Technology Informatics Guiding Educational Reform (TIGER) Usability and Clinical Application Design Collaborative Summary Report. TIGER publication and on the TIGER wiki at: http://www.tigersummit.com/.
- Staggers, N., McCasky, T., Brazelton, N., & Kennedy, R. (2008). Nanotechnology: Implications for patients, providers and informatics. Nursing Outlook, 56(5), 268-274.
- Nelson, R., & Staggers, N. (2008). Implications of the ANAs Scope and Standards of Practice for Nursing Informatics on nursing education. Nursing Outlook, 56(2), 93-94.
- Gorges, M., & Staggers, N. (2008). Evaluations of Physiological Monitoring Displays: A Systematic Review. Journal of Clinical Monitoring, 22(1), 45-66.
- Staggers, N., Weir, C., & Pfansalkar, S. (2008). Patient safety and health information technology: Role of Critical Elements of the Electronic Health Record. In R. Hughes (Ed.), Patient Safety & Quality: an Evidence-based Handbook for Nurses (chapter 47). AHRQ Publication No. 07-. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. E-pub 4/08. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/nurseshdbk/docs/StaggersN_PSHIT.pdf.
- Staggers, N., Kobus, D., & Brown, C. (2007). An evaluation of a novel design for an electronic administration record (eMAR). Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 25(2), 67-75.
- Staggers, N. (2008). Overview of Nursing Informatics. In D. McGonigle & K. Mastrian (Eds.), Nursing Informatics and the Foundation of Knowledge (pp. 83-96). Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett, Publishers.
- Gundlapa, A., Olson, J, Smith, S., Baza, M., Hausam, R, Eutropius, L., Pestotnik, S, Duncan, K, Staggers, N., Pincetl, P., & Samore, M. (2007). Hospital electronic medical record-based public health surveillance system deployed during the 2002 winter Olympic Games. American Journal of Infection Control, 35(3), 163-171.
- Staggers, N., & Lasome, C. (2005). RN, CIO: An executive informatics career. Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 23(4), 201-206.
- Staggers, N. (2004). Assessing recommendations from IOMÂ¿s Quality Chasm Report. Journal of Healthcare Information Management, 18(1), 30-35.
- Thompson, C.R., Repko, K., & Staggers, N. (2003). A Delphi study to validate competencies required of Air Force medical surgical nurses in mobilized environments. Military Medicine, 168(8), 518-625.
- Staggers, N. (2003). Human factors: Imperative concepts for critical care. AACN Clinical Issues.14(3), 310-319.
- Staggers, N., Gassert, C., & Curran, C. (2002). A Delphi study to determine informatics competencies for nurses at four levels of practice. Nursing Research, 51(6), 383-390.
- Staggers, N., & Thompson, C. B. (2002). The evolution of definitions for nursing informatics: A critical analysis and revised definition. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA), 9(3), 255-261.
- Staggers, N., Gassert, C. A., & Curran, C. (2001). Informatics competencies for nurses at four levels of practice. Journal of Nursing Education, 4(7), 303-316.
- American Nurses Association (2001). The scope and standards of practice for nursing informatics. Washington, DC: American Nurses Association. (Panel authors: N. Staggers, Chair; C. A. Gassert, C. Bickford, J., Sensemeier, K., Hunter, & R. Nelson.)
- Staggers, N., Thompson, C. B., & Snyder-Halpern, R. (2001). Health Policy and Systems: History and trends of clinical information systems in the United States. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 33(1), 75-81.
- Staggers, N. (2001). Human-computer interaction. In S. Englebardt & R. Nelson (Eds.), Information technology in health care: An interdisciplinary approach (pp. 321-345). Harcourt Health Science Company.
- Staggers, N., Gassert, C. A., & Curran, C. (2000). Health professionals' views of informatics education: Findings from the AMIA spring 1999 conference. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 7(6), 550-558.
- Staggers, N., & Kobus, D. (2000). Comparing the reaction time, errors, and satisfaction of text-based and graphical use interfaces during nurses' use of computerized nursing interventions. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 7(2), 164-176.
- Staggers, N., & Leaderman, A. (2000). The vision for Department of Defense's computer-based patient record. Military Medicine. 165(3), 180-185.
- Staggers, N., Gallagher, L., Goncalves, L., & Nelson, R. (2014). Confidentiality, safety and security. In R. Nelson & N. Staggers, Health Informatics: An Interdisciplinary Approach (pp. 307-322). St Louis: Elsevier.
- Nelson, R., & Staggers, N. (2014). Theoretical foundations of health informatics. In R. Nelson & N. Staggers, Health Informatics: An Interdisciplinary Approach (pp. 18-39). St. Louis: Elsevier.
- Staggers, N. (2014). Improving the user experience for health information technology products. In R. Nelson & N. Staggers, Health Informatics: An Interdisciplinary Approach (pp. 335-350). St. Louis: Elsevier.
- Staggers, N., Nelson, R., Jones, D. (2014). Future directions and future research in health informatics. In R. Nelson & N. Staggers, Health Informatics: An Interdisciplinary Approach (pp. 494-507). St. Louis: Elsevier.
- Staggers, N. (2012). Improving the Usability of Health Informatics Applications. In T. Hebda, Handbook of Informatics for Nurses and Health Professionals, pp. 170-193. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education.
- Nelson, R., & Staggers, N. (2011). Overview of Nursing Informatics. In K. Mastrian & D. McGonigle (Eds.), Nursing Informatics and the Foundation of Knowledge (2nd edition). (pp. 95-109). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Staggers, N. & Troseth, M. (2011). Usability and Application Design Collaborative Summary and Recommendations. In M. Ball, J. Douglas (Eds.), Technology Informatics Guiding Educational Reform (pp.219-241). New York: Springer.
- Nelson, R., & Staggers, N. (2014). Health Informatics: An Interdisciplinary Approach. St Louis: Elsevier.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- Informatics: human-computer interaction, systems implementation, project management
Academic & Professional Activities:
- 2010-Present: Co-lead, HIMSS Usability Whitepaper Taskforce
- 2008-Present: Commissioner, Utah Governor’s Digital Health Commission
- 2010-2014: Study section member, Healthcare Research and Training, AHRQ
- 2007-2011: Chair, Board of Directors, Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- 2007-2009: Co-lead, TIGER Usability Collaborative
- 2006: Nursing Informatics Pioneer, AMIA NI Workgroup