Meg Johantgen, PhD, RN
Associate Dean for the PhD Program
Associate Professor, OSAH
Phone Number: 410-706-0520
Fax Number: 410-706-3289
- PhD, Virginia Commonwealth University, Health Services Research and Organizations
- MS, Nursing Administration, SUNY Buffalo
- BSN, Niagara University
- 2013-2015: Evaluator. UMB Center for the Genomics of Pain. National Institute of Nursing Research. PI: Dorsey. P30 NR0112901.
- 2013-2015: Co-investigator. Long-term care regulation: Training, leadership and quality outcomes. National Council of State Boards of Nursing. PI: Trinkoff.
- 2011-2013: Co-investigator. Nursing home outcomes: Contextual and regulatory oversight of care providers. National Council of State Boards of Nursing. PI: Trinkoff.
- 2011-2013: Evaluator. UMB Center for Pain Studies. National Institute of Nursing Research. PI: Dorsey. P30 NR011396-03
- 2010-2012: Co-investigator. Increasing Substance Abuse Screening, Brief Intervention, Referral, or Treatment (SBIRT) in Acute Care Hospitals. Robert Wood Johnson. PI: Newhouse.
- 2010-2012: Co-investigator. Improving Heart Failure Outcomes. American Nurses Credentialing Center, American Nurses Association. PI: Newhouse.
- 2008-2010: Co-investigator. Linking Nursing Work Environment to Patient Outcomes. National Council of State Boards of Nursing. PI: Trinkoff. (September 2008-June 2010).
- 2009-2011: Co-investigator. Factors Associated with Retention of Army, Navy and Air Force Nurses. Triservice Nursing Research Program Grant, PI: Zangaro.
- 2009-2010: Co-investigator. Army Nurses’ Experiences as Faculty and Students’ Perceptions of Military Nursing. TriService Nursing, PI: Zangaro.
- 2008-2009: Co-investigator/Team leader for Certified Nurse Midwifery. An Assessment of the Safety, Quality, and Effectiveness of Care Provided by Advanced Practice Nurses. Tri-Council for Nursing, PI: Newhouse.
- Ogbolu Y, Johantgen ME, Zhu S, Johnson JV. Nurse reported patient safety in low-resource settings: a cross-sectional study of MNCH nurses in Nigeria. Appl Nurs Res. 2015 Nov;28(4):341-6.
- Griffioen MA, Johantgen M, Von Rueden K, Greenspan JD, Dorsey SG, Renn CL. Characteristics of Patients with Lower Extremity Trauma with Improved and Not Improved Pain During Hospitalization: A Pilot Study. Pain Manag Nurs. 2016 Feb;17(1):3-13.
- Trinkoff AM, Lerner NB, Storr CL, Han K, Johantgen ME, Gartrell K. Leadership education, certification and resident outcomes in US nursing homes: cross-sectional secondary data analysis. Int J Nurs Stud. 2015 Jan;52(1):334-44.
- Griffith KA, Dorsey SG, Renn CL, Zhu S, Johantgen ME, Cornblath DR, Argyriou AA, Cavaletti G, Merkies IS, Alberti P, Postma TJ, Rossi E, Frigeni B, Bruna J, Velasco R, Kalofonos HP, Psimaras D, Ricard D, Pace A, Galie E, Briani C, Dalla Torre C, Faber CG, Lalisang RI, Boogerd W, Brandsma D, Koeppen S, Hense J, Storey DJ, Kerrigan S, Schenone A, Fabbri S, Valsecchi MG; CI-PeriNomS Group. Correspondence between neurophysiological and clinical measurements of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: secondary analysis of data from the CI-PeriNomS study. J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2014 Jun;19(2):127-135.
- Hickey JV, Unruh LY, Newhouse RP, Koithan M, Johantgen M, Hughes RG, Haller KB, Lundmark VA. Credentialing: the need for a national research agenda. Nurs Outlook. 2014 Mar-Apr;62(2):119-27.
- Han K, Trinkoff AM, Storr CL, Lerner N, Johantgen M, Gartrell K. Associations between state regulations, training length, perceived quality and job satisfaction among certified nursing assistants: cross-sectional secondary data analysis. Int J Nurs Stud. 2014 Aug;51(8):1135-41.
- Griffith KA, Couture DJ, Zhu S, Pandya N, Johantgen ME, Cavaletti G, Davenport JM, Tanguay LJ, Choflet A, Milliron T, Glass E, Gambill N, Renn CL, Dorsey SG. Evaluation of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy using current perception threshold and clinical evaluations. Support Care Cancer. 2014 May;22(5):1161-9.
- Johantgen M, Newhouse R. Participating in a multihospital study to promote adoption of heart failure guidelines: lessons for nurse leaders. J Nurs Adm. 2013 Dec;43(12):660-6.
- Trinkoff AM, Han K, Storr CL, Lerner N, Johantgen M, Gartrell K. Turnover, staffing, skill mix, and resident outcomes in a national sample of US nursing homes. J Nurs Adm. 2013 Dec;43(12):630-6.
- Lerner NB, Johantgen M, Trinkoff AM, Storr CL, Han K. Are nursing home survey deficiencies higher in facilities with greater staff turnover. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014 Feb;15(2):102-7.
- Trinkoff AM, Johantgen M, Lerner N, Storr CL, Han K, McElroy K. (2013). Regulatory oversight of Certified Nursing Assistants in relation to resident outcomes. Journal of Nursing Regulation, 3(4): 53-59.
- Dukes SF, Bridges E, Johantgen M. (2013). Occurrence of secondary insults of traumatic brain injury in patients transported by critical care air transport teams from Iraq/Afghanistan: 2003-2006. Military Medicine, 178(1): 11-17.
- Newhouse RP, White K, Stanik-Hutt J, Johantgen M. (2012). We are your health care team.Nursing Economics, 30(12):118.
- Choi J, Johantgen, ME. (2012). The importance of supervision in retention of Certified Nursing Assistants. Research in Nursing and Health, 35(2): 187-99. doi: 10.1002/nur.21461.
- Newhouse RP, Weiner, JP, Stanik-Hutt J, White KM, Johantgen ME, Steinwachs DM, Zangaro G, Aldebron J, Bass E. (August 2012). Policy implications for optimizing advanced practice registered nurse use nationally. Policy, Politics & Nursing Practice, 13:81-89. Published on-line August 31, 2012. doi: 10.1177/1527154412456299.
Primary Teaching Areas
- Health services research design and statistical analysis; Implementation research; Secondary data analysis
Academic & Professional Activities
University of Maryland, Baltimore
- 2014-Present: Graduate Council, UMSON Representative
- 2009-Present: American Nurses Association, American Nurses Credentialing Center, Research Council (Chair Elect - 2016)
- 2016-Present: Board of Scientific Counselors, National Center for Health Statistics