Kathleen Michael, PhD, RN, CRRN
Assistant Professor, OSAH
- PhD, The Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Baltimore, MD, 2005
- Master of Science in Nursing, Nursing Leadership, Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, WA, 1996
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 1975
- 2013-2014 John A. Hartford Foundation Online Dissemination and Implementation Project: Developing Publications in Geriatrics (Co-Investigator)
- 2009-2012: Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center Junior Faculty Award: “Task-oriented Exercise and Behavioral Intervention to Increase Free-Living Activity in Stroke.”
- 2009-2010: VA Special Fellowship in Geriatrics: “Combined Adaptive Physical Activity and Treadmill Training to Increase Free-Living Activity in Stroke.”
- 2008-2010: University of Maryland Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center/Maryland Exercise and Robotics Center of Excellence Pilot Grant: “Testing Adaptive Physical Activity in Stroke (TAPAS).”
- 2006-2009: Ruth L. Kirchstein National Research Service Award, Post-doctoral Fellowship: “Increasing Ambulatory Activity after Stroke.”
- 2001-2006: Claude D. Pepper Older Americans Independence Center, grant number 5-P60-AG12583, (Andrew P. Goldberg, Principal Investigator) Program Manager.
- Michael, KM, Shaughnessy, M, $ Resnick, B. (2012). People reducing risk and improving strength through exercise, diet, and drug adherence (PRAISEDD): a case report on long-term community adoption. Translational Behavioral Medicine Jun:2(2):236-240.
- Shaughnessy, M, Michael, K, Resnick, B. (2012). Impact of treadmill exercise on efficacy expectations, physical activity, and stroke recovery. Neuroscience Nursing Feb;44(1):27.
- Resnick, B, Michael, KM, Shaughnessy, M, Nahm, E-S, Sorkin, JD, & Macko, RF. (2011). Exercise intervention research in stroke: optimizing outcomes through treatment fidelity. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation, Nov-Dec;18(6): 611-9.
- Alexander, N, and Michael, K, (2009) Mobility. in Assisted Living Nursing: a Manual for Management and Practice. New York: Springer.
- Wilson, D. & Michael, K. (2009) Rehabilitation and palliative care. In Ferrell, B. & Coyne, N., (eds.), Oxford Textbook of Palliative Nursing (3rd Edition). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Resnick, B, Shaughnessy, M, Galik, E, Scheve, A, Fitten, R, Morrison, T, Michael, K, and Agness, C. (2009) Pilot testing of the PRAISEDD intervention among African American and low-income older adults. J. Cardiovasc Nurs. Sep-Oct;24(5): 352-61. PMID: 19652618
- Michael, K, Goldberg, AP, Treuth, MS, Beans, J, Normandt, P, and Macko, RF. (2009) Progressive adaptive physical activity in stroke improves balance, gait, and fitness: preliminary results. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation. Mar-Apr;16(2):133-9. PMID: 19581199
- Shaughnessy, M & Michael, KM, (2008). Stroke and older adults. In Stein, J, Harvey, Macko, Weinstein, & Zorowitz, eds, Stroke Recovery and Rehabilitation. New York: Demos Medical Publishing.
- Michael, KM, (2008). Fatigue and sleep disturbances after stroke. In Stein, J, Harvey, Macko, Weinstein, & Zorowitz, eds, Stroke Recovery and Rehabilitation. New York: Demos Medical Publishing.
- Resnick, B, Michael, K, Shaughnessy, M, Nahm, E-S, Kopunek, S, & Macko, R. (2008). Motivators for exercise after stroke. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation 15(5):494-502. PMID: 19008208
- Resnick, B, Michael, K, Shaughnessy, M, Nahm, E-S, Kopunek, S, Sorkin, J, Orwig, D, Goldberg, A, & Macko, R. (2008). Inflated perceptions of physical activity after stroke: pairing self-report with physiologic measures. Journal of Physical Activity and Health (5)2, 308-318. PMID: 18382039
- Shaughnessy, M, Beidler, SM, Gibbs, K, & Michael, KM. (2007) Confidentiality challenges and good clinical practices in human subjects research: striking a balance. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation (14)2, pp 1-4. PMID: 17517568
- Resnick, B, Shaughnessy, M, Macko, RF, Whitall, J, Michael, KM, Nahm, E-S, Kopunek, S, Orwig, D. (2007) Testing of the short self-efficacy and outcome expectations for Exercise Scales in the United States. International Journal of Stroke and Rehabilitation. 14 (3), 110-117.
- Michael, KM, Shaughnessy, M, Macko, R. (2007). Ambulatory activity intensity profiles, fitness, and fatigue in chronic stroke. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation. (14) 2, pp 5-12. PMID: 17517569
- Michael, K. (2006). Acupuncture in post-stroke rehabilitation. In Chan, H. P.Y., Acupuncture for Stroke Rehabilitation: Three Decades of Information from China. Boulder, CO: Blue Poppy Press.
- Michael, KM, Allen, RF, Macko, RF. (2006) Fatigue after stroke: relationship to mobility, fitness, ambulatory activity, social support, and falls efficacy. Rehabilitation Nursing (31)5, pp 210-217. PMID: 16948443
- Shaughnessy M, Michael, KM., & Normandt, P. (2006) When stroke strikes: minimizing impact and maximizing recovery following stroke. Advances for Nurse Practitioners.;(14)9, pp 26-33, 34. PMID: 16972441
- Michael, KM & Shaughnessy, M. (2006). Stroke prevention and management in older adults. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing (21)5 supplement, pp S21-6. PMID: 16966926
- Michael, K., (2006). Rehabilitation and palliative care. In Ferrell, B & Coyne, N., (eds.) Oxford Textbook of Palliative Nursing (2nd Edition). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Kopunek, S, Michael, KM, Shaughnessy, M, Resnick, B, Nahm, E-S, Whitall, J, Sorkin, JD, Goldberg, AP, & Macko, RF. (2006). Cardiovascular risk factors in survivors of stroke. Journal of Preventive Medicine 32 (5), pp 408-412. PMID: 17478267
- Shaughnessy M, Michael K, Resnick B, Nahm E, Kopunek S, Orwig D. Clinical trials and tribulations: Challenges to realizing intervention research. Symposium Gerontological Society of America. Gerontologist. 2005;45(11):670.
- Shaughnessy, M, Michael, KM, Sorkin, J, & Macko, RF (2005) Steps after stroke: Capturing ambulatory recovery. Stroke (36) 1305-1307. PMID: 15879321
- Michael, KM, Allen, JK, & Macko, RF, (2005) Reduced ambulatory activity after stroke: the role of gait, balance, and cardiovascular fitness. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (86) 8, pp 1552-1556. PMID: 16084807
- Michael, KM, (2002). Fatigue and stroke. Rehabilitation Nursing 27(3), 89-94, 103. PMID: 12004566
- Michael, K., (2001). Rehabilitation and palliative care. In Ferrell, B. & Coyne, N., (eds.), Oxford Textbook of Palliative Nursing. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Michael, KM, (2001). Relationship of skeletal muscle atrophy to functional status: a systematic research review. Biological Research in Nursing (1) 4, pp 117-131.
- Michael, KM, (2001). A case for rehabilitation in palliative care. Rehabilitation Nursing 26(3).
Primary Teaching Areas:
- Health Services Leadership and Management
Academic & Professional Activities:
- Greater Baltimore Committee, built environments and sustainability