Karen S. Kauffman, PhD, CRNP-BC
Chair and Associate Professor, FCH
- BSN, Nursing, College of St. Francis de Sales, Allentown, PA, 1984
- MS, Gerontological Nurse Practitioner, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1987
- PhD, Nursing/Gerontology/Sociology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1992
- 2005 - 2006: Co-Investigator: Health of Female Mexican Crab Pickers. Jane Lipscomb, Principal Investigator. Johns Hopkins NIOSH/Education and Research Center.
- 2004 - 2006: Co-Investigator: Blood Exposure and Primary Prevention in the Home Care Workplace. Jane Lipscomb, Principal Investigator. NIOSH
- 2004 - Present: Consultant on SBIR: Translating Dementia Care Research. LightBridge Healthcare Research, Inc; Catherine Harris, Principal Investigator. NIA. For more information, see http://www.lightbridgehealthcare.com/
- 2004: Consultant and Reviewer on SBIR: Senior Alcohol Abuse: The Hidden Epidemic. DANYA; Susie Nemes, Principal Investigator. NIA.
- 2003 - 2004: Consultant: Maryland Homecare Workforce Initiative – A Peer-Training Demonstration. J. Lipscomb, Principal Investigator. Maryland Department of Aging Innovations in Aging Program.
- 2003: Qualitative Research Consultant: Workplace Violence in Home and Community Health. J. Lipscomb, Principal Investigator. Johns Hopkins NIOSH/Education and Research Center.
- McPhaul, K. M., Rosen, J., Bobb, S. H., Okechukwu, C., Geiger-Brown, J., Kauffman, K., Johnson, J. V., Lipscomb, J. (2007). An exploratory study of mandated safety measures for home visiting case managers. Ethics, Values, and Decision-Making, 39(4), 173-189.
- Zanoni, J., Kauffman, K., McPhaul, K., Nickels, L., Hayden, M., Glassman, M., Vega, L., Sokas, R., & Lipscomb, J. (2007). Personal care assistants and blood exposure in the home environment: Focus group findings. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action, 1(2), 125 – 131.
- Kauffman, K. S., & Douglas, M. (2005). Alzheimer's Disease and Public Policy. Geriatric Care Management Journal, 14(1), 15-18.
- Kauffman, K. S., & Barlow. (1997). Planning health for populations: A new role for nurse practitioners? Nurse Practitioner Forum, 34(4), 249-255.
- Kauffman, K.S. & Myers, D. (1997). The changing role of village health volunteers in Northeast Thailand: an ethnographic field study. International Journal for Nursing Studies, 34(4), 249-255.
- Kauffman, K.S. (1995). Center as haven: Findings of an urban ethnography. Nursing Research, 44(4), 231-236.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Community/Public Health Leadership and Practicum
- Qualitative Research Methodologies
Academic & Professional Activities:
- 2005 – Present: Director, National Alzheimer's Association; Member, Public Policy Committee
- 2005: Invited by Secretary, Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene to membership on Advisory Committee for CommunityChoice, a proposed mandated managed care program for dual eligible people in Maryland.
- 2002 - present: Governor-appointed Member, State Advisory Council on Quality Care at the End of Life.
- 2001 - 2003: Member, U.S. Senate Special Committee on Aging Workgroup on Assisted Living - representing National Conference of Gerontological Nurse Practitioners
- Fall 2000 - present: Director on the Board of the Alzheimer's Association, Greater Maryland Chapter; 2002-2006 Chair, State Public Policy Committee
- 1999 - 2006 Director of the Board of Memorial Apartments (Episcopal housing for low-income seniors in Baltimore)