Karen Clark, PhD, RN, CCRN
Assistant Professor, OSAH
Address:Universities at Shady Grove
9640 Gudelsky Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
- AD in Nursing, Montgomery Community College, Takoma Park, Maryland, 1985
- BSN George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, 1992
- MSN George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, 1995
- PhD, Nursing, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia, 2005
- Early Emergency Department Events and Subsequent Critical Care Unit Outcomes for Patients Admitted to a Critical Care Unit from an Emergency Department, partially funded by Sigma Theta Tau International, Epsilon Zeta Chapter.
- Implementing admission orders for critical care patients in the ED associated with length of stay in The Emergency Department.
- Critical care admission criteria in community based hospitals.
- Clark, K., & Normile, L. (2007). Patient flow in the emergency department: Is timeliness to events related to length of hospital stay? Journal of Nursing Care Quality 22(1), 85-91.
- Clark, K. & Normile, L. (2007). Time-to-interventions for emergency department critical care patients on hospital mortality. Journal of Emergency Nursing. 33(1), 6-13.
- Clark, K., & Normile, L. (2007). Analysis approach: Admissions originating in the ED to ICU: Time sequences of interventions on outcomes of hospitalization. Nurse Researcher. 15 (1), 55-69.
- Clark, K. & Normile, L. (2002).Delays in implementing admission orders for critical care patients associated with length of stay in emergency departments in six Mid-Atlantic States. Journal of Emergency Nursing, 25 (6). 489-495.
- Clark, K. (2002). Regionalization: Decreasing costs, increasing access. Journal of Nursing Administration. 32 (4). 173-174. Clark, K. & Normile, L. (2000). Critical care admission criteria in community based hospitals: A pilot study with implications for quality management. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 15 (1). 32-41.
Academic & Professional Activities:
- Presentation: 17th International Nursing Research Congress focusing on Evidence-Based Practice. July 19-22, 2006 in Montreal Canada. Emergency department interventions for patients admitted to a critical care unit from an emergency department outcomes of hospital mortality and length of stay.
- Accepted for Poster Presentation for the National Conference of the Academy of Nursing in Fall of 2002: Snapshot: Regional View of Critical Care Patients Held in Emergency Departments.
- Poster Presentation in Spring 2002 for PinnacleHealth System-Medical Education Day and Nursing Research, Harrisburg, PA.
- Poster Presentations: PinnacleHealth System, George Mason University-Research Day, Fairfax, VA., 2001.
- Poster Presentation: 2000, Research Day, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA. "Critical Care in Community Based Hospitals: A Pilot Study with Implications for Quality Management".
- Speaking presentation to: Chesapeake Consortium Sigma Theta Tau: Feb. 2002-research: "Snapshot: Regional View of Critical Care Patients Held in Emergency Departments"
- Gap analysis and assessment of hospital systems for magnet readiness in 2000 and in 2003-2005
- Assessed Barbados Health Care System January 2001. Interviewed nursing leadership on the Island. Met with officials at PAHO on site in Barbados. Investigated the healthcare delivery system.
- "Sustaining Leadership in the 21st Century: Unlocking Your Potential for Success". Assisted in developing the program as well as developed specific presentation section on, 'Implications for nursing management'. Presented to nursing leadership in Barbados, January 12, 2001.
- "Advanced Practice". Presented to nursing students at the Barbados Community College, in Barbados on January 11, 2001
- Sigma Theta Tau, Inc., International Honor Society Nursing, Epsilon Zeta Chapter
- American National Association of Clinical Nurse SpecialistsAssociation of Critical Care Nurses
- Sigma Theta Tau, Inc., International Honor Society Nursing, Epsilon Zeta Chapter: Vice President of Chapter 2002/2003
- National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists/member of the committee revising the 'Statement on Clinical Nurse Specialist Practice and Education'. Member of committee for legislative and policy review.
- President Elect for American Association of Critical Care Nurses Cumberland Valley Chapter for yr 2000
- Treasurer for American Association of Critical Care Nurses Cumberland Valley Chapter 1999
- Golden Key National Honor Society