Jane Lipscomb, PhD, RN, FAAN
- BS, Nursing, Boston College, Boston, MA, 1976
- MS, Occupational Health Nursing, Boston University, Boston, MA, 1981
- PhD, Epidemiology, University of California-Berkley, Berkley, CA, 1989
Dr. Jane Lipscomb is Professor, University of Maryland Schools of Nursing and Medicine and Director of the School of Nursing’s Work and Health Research Center. She has conducted research into the prevention of occupational injuries and illness in the health care and social service workplace for over twenty years. Prior to joining the faculty, Dr. Lipscomb spent three years as a senior scientist in the Office of the Director of the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and five years at the University of California, at San Francisco (UCSF) School of Nursing, as Assistant Professor and Director of the graduate program in Occupational Health Nursing. Dr. Lipscomb is the recipient of the University Of Maryland’s 2008 Founders Day Research Lecturer Award.
Current and Recently Completed Research Grants:
- 1999-2002 - Principal Investigator, “Effects of OSHA Guidelines on Violence Prevention in Mental Health”. CDC/NIOSH: R01-OH04051.
- 2001-05 - Co-Investigator. "Extended Work Schedules and Workplace Injury in Nurses." CDC/NIOSH: R01 OH007554. Dr. Alison Trinkoff, Principal Investigator
- 2001-2004 - Co-investigator, "Work Organization and Health Among Home Health Care Workers". CDC/NIOSH. C. Muntaner, Principal Investigator.
- 2002-2004 - Principal Investigator, "Workplace Violence Risk in the Home Health Work Place". CDC/NIOSH: R21 OH07754.
- 2002-2007 - Principal Investigator, "Evaluation of Workplace Violence Prevention Intervention". CDC/NIOSH: R01-OH007948.
- 2004-2008 - Principal Investigator, "Blood Exposure and Primary Prevention in the Home Care Workplace" CDC/NIOSH: R01- OH008237.
- 2006-2011 - Principal Investigator, “Evaluation of Organizational Justice Intervention to Alleviate Type III Violence” CDC/NIOSH, R01 OH009072.
- McPhaul KM, Lipscomb JA. (2005) Participatory action research: a protective research design. New Solutions;15 (1) 53-61.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Muntaner, C., McPhaul, K., Lipscomb, J., Trinkoff, A.M. (2006) Abuse and Violence During Home Care Work as Predictor of Worker Depression. Home Health Care Services Quarterly.
- Lipscomb, J., McPhaul, K., Rosen, J., Geiger Brown, J., Choi, M., Soeken, K., Vignola, V., Wagoner, D., Foley, J., Porter, P. (2006) Violence Prevention in the Mental Health Setting: The New York State Experience. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research. 36 (4).
- Zanoni J, Kauffman K, McPhaul K, Nickels L, Hayden M, Glassman M, Vega L, Sokas R, Lipscomb J. (2007) Personal Care Assistants in the Home Environment: Focus Group Findings. Progress in Community Health Partnerships;2:125-32.
- Lipscomb, J. London, M., McPhaul, K. (2008) Responding to the Epidemic of Workplace Violence in Public Sector Health Care and Social Service Workplaces. Chapter in Lies, M. (Ed) Preventing and Managing Workplace Violence – Legal and Strategic Guidelines. ABA Book Publishing, Chicago, IL.
- McPhaul, K., London, M., Rosen, J., Murrett, K., Flannery, K., Lipscomb, J., (2008). Environmental Evaluation for Workplace violence in Healthcare and Social Services. Journal of Safety Research, 39, 237-250.
- Baron, S. McPhaul, K, Phillips, S., Gershon, R., Lipscomb, J. (2009). Protecting Home Health Care Workers: A Challenge to Pandemic Influenza Preparedness Planning. American Journal of Public Health: 2009 Oct;99 Suppl 2:S301-7.
- Lipscomb, J., Sokas, R., McPhaul, K., Scharf, B., Barker, P., Trinkoff, A., Storr, C. (2009) Occupational blood exposure among unlicensed home care and home care registered nurses: are they protected? American Journal of Industrial Medicine: 52(7): 563-570.
- Scharf, B., McPhaul, K., Trinkoff, A., Lipscomb, J. (2009) Evaluation of Home Health Care RN Practice and Their Employer Policies in Blood Safety Programs. AAOHN J: 57(7):275-80.
- McPhaul, K.M., Lipscomb, J.A., Johnson, J, Soeken, K., (in press). Assessing risk for violence on home visits. Public Health Nursing.
- NURS819: PhD Research Rotation
- NURS 880: Work and Health Research Center PhD Seminar
- Manuscript Reviewer, American Journal of Public Health, 1993-Present.
- Contributing Editor, American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 1991-Present.
- Manuscript reviewer, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 2003- Present
- Grant Reviewer, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research, Vancouver, BC, 2007-present
- Grant Reviewer, Health Secretariat, Hong Kong, 2007 – present.