Erika Friedmann, PhD
- PhD, Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1978
- BA, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, 1973
- Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A., Son, H., Chapa, D.W., McCune, S. Pet's presence and owner's blood pressures during the daily lives of pet owners with pre-to mild hypertension. Anthrozoös (In Press).
- Friedmann, E., Son, H., Chapa, D., Lee, H-J., Thomas, S.A., Poor social support is associated with increases in depression but not anxiety over 2 years in heart failure outpatients. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. In Press.
- Son, H., Thomas, S.A., Friedmann, E. The association between psychological distress and coping patterns in post MI patients and their partners. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 21(15-16) 2392-239, 2012.
- Woltz, P.C., Chapa, D.W., Friedmann, E., Son, H., Akintade, B., Thomas, S.A. Effects of interventions on depression in heart failure: A systematic review. Heart & Lung, 41(5), 469-483 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2012.06.002.
- Ross, A., Bevans, M., Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A. National survey of yoga practitioners: Mental and physical health benefits. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 2012 ID JACM-2012-626.
- Son, H., Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A. Application of pattern mixture models to address missing data in longitudinal data analysis using SPSS. Nursing Research. 61:195-203, 2012.
- Saylor, J. Friedmann, E., Lee, H-J. Navigating complex samples analysis using national survey data. Nursing Research, 61:231-237, 2012.
- Gilden, R, Friedmann, E., Satler, B., Squibb, K.; McPhaul, K. Potential health effects related to pesticide use on athletic fields. Public Health Nursing, 29: 198-207, 2012.
- Adelman, R.D., Greene, M.G., Friedmann, E., Ory, M.G., and Snow, C.E. Older patients – physician discussions about exercise. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 19:225-238, 2011.
- Friedmann, E., Thomas, S.A., Son, H. for the HAT Investigators. Pets, depression and long term survival in community living patients following myocardial infarction . Anthrozoos, 24: 273-285, 2011.
- Freedenberg, V., Thomas, S.A., and Friedmann, E. Anxiety and depression in ICD recipients and heart failure: A review. Heart Failure Clinics of North America, 7: 59-68, 2011.
- Thomas, S.A., Friedmann, E., Lee, H-J., Son, H., Morton, P.G. and the HAT Investigators. Changes in anxiety and depression over 2 years in medically stable patients following myocardial infarction and their spouses in the Home Automatic External Defibrillator Trial (HAT): A Longitudinal Observational Study. Heart, 97:371-381, 2011.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- Research Methods
Academic & Professional Activities:
- Editorial Board, Journal for Human-Animal Interactions
- Board Member and Past President, International Society for Anthrozoology
- Scientific Advisory Board, Athena Institute for Women's Wellness
- Adjunct Professor of Public Health in Medicine, Cornell University Weill School of Medicine
- Regular Member, Graduate Faculty, University of Maryland, Baltimore