Alison M. Trinkoff, ScD, MPH, BSN, RN, FAAN
- ScD, Psychiatric Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD 1987
- MPH, Maternal-Child Health, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 1980
- BSN, Nursing, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 1978
- Principal Investigator. Linking Nursing Work Environments and Patient Outcomes. National Council of State Boards of Nursing. September, 2008-2010. Total costs: $291,486
- Co-investigator. Sleep loss, sleepiness and neurocognition in 12 hour nurses. R-21: OH008392, NIOSH PI: J. Geiger-Brown. 2007-2009. Total costs: $408,375.
- Subcontract and Consultant to NIOSH, Intramural Research Grant: Research to Practice Curriculum Development Program, Training to reduce broad impacts of work-related sleep loss. PI: Claire Caruso, RN, PhD. September, 2007-11. $16,000.
- Principal Investigator. Extended Work Schedules and Workplace Injury in Nurses. Funded by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health). R01 OH07554. Total costs: $997,662. 2001-06.
- Principal Investigator. Do Organizational Factors Influence both Patient and Worker Safety? Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). R01 HS11990. Total costs: $687,651. 2001-04.
- Principal Investigator. Musculoskeletal Disorders in Nurses: Organization and Physical Work Factors. Funded by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health). R01 OH03702. Total costs: $614,850; 1998-2001.
- Trinkoff, A.M., Geiger-Brown, J., Sleep and schedule challenges in nursing. Chapter in: Koppel, R Ed. Cornell University Press, In press, 2010.
- Geiger-Brown, J., Trinkoff, A. Is it time to pull the plug on 12-hour shifts? Part III. Harm reduction strategies if keeping 12-hour shifts. Journal of Nursing Administration, 40(9):357-359, 2010.
- Trinkoff, A.M., Johantgen, M., Storr, C.L., Han, K., Liang, Y., Gurses, A.P., Hopkinson, S. (2010). A comparison of working conditions among nurses in Magnet hospitals and non-Magnet hospitals. Journal of Nursing Administration. 40:309-315, 2010.
- Geiger-Brown J. & Trinkoff, A.M. Is it time to pull the plug on 12-hour shifts? Part I. The evidence. Journal of Nursing Administration. 40 (3):100-102, 2010.
- Kim, I.H., Geiger-Brown, J., Trinkoff, A.M., Muntaner, C. Physically demanding workloads and the risks of musculoskeletal disorders in homecare workers in the USA. Health & Social Care in the Community. 2010 Sep;18(5):445-55. Epub 2010 Jun 16.
- Lipscomb, J., Sokas, R., McPhaul, K., Scharf, B., Barker, P., Trinkoff, A., Storr, C. Occupational blood exposure among unlicensed home care workers: are they protected? American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 52(7):563-70, 2009.
- Scharf, B., Lipscomb J., McPhaul, K., Trinkoff, A.M. Evaluation of Home Health Care RN Practice and Their Employer Policies in Blood Safety Programs. American Association of Occupational Health Nursing Journal, 57(7):275-80, 2009.
- Kenna, G.A., Baldwin, J., Trinkoff, A., Lewis, D.C. "Dependence in Specific Populations: Healthcare Professionals" Chapter in Addictive Disorders and Substance Abuse. Johnson, Bankole (Ed.): Springer: NY. 2009.
Primary Teaching Areas:
- NURS 671: Epidemiological Assessment Strategies
- NURS 814: Design and Analysis for Non-Experimental Nursing Research
- NURS 701: Science and Research for Advanced Nursing Practice
Academic & Professional Activities:
- 2005-Present: Member, National League for Nursing
- 2000-Present: Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
- 1991-Present: Maryland Nurses Association/American Nurses Association
- 1991-Present: Member, Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science
- 1991-Present: Elected as Regular Member, College on Problems of Drug Dependence
- 1988-Present: Member, American Nurses Association
- 1986-Present: Member, Society for Epidemiologic Research
- 1979-Present: Member, American Public Health Association