Diversity and Inclusion
Our Pioneers of Diversity paved the way for diversity at UMSON.
- 44 percent of UMSON students are minorities
- 12 percent are men
All are welcome at UMSON.
Diversity is a source of strength and innovation for the University of Maryland School of Nursing. We’re committed to preparing future nurses to provide culturally competent care, and we aim to help create a health care workforce that reflects the rich diversity of the United States.
We were the first school on the University of Maryland, Baltimore campus to devote a full-time, associate dean position to diversity and inclusion. With a goal of weaving inclusive excellence throughout the UMSON fabric, we are committed to enhancing the School of Nursing experience for all community members and to promoting an environment and culture in which we can all learn and work collaboratively.
Office of Diversity and Inclusion
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion is the UMSON hub for:
- service and community outreach
- collaborative and innovative thinking about diversity and inclusion
- process improvement
- inclusive excellence among students, faculty, and staff.
We offer you:
- individual and departmental support and assistance with relationship and community building
- professional development programs and initiatives
- a space for integrative and innovative thinking and a resource center for diversity and inclusion
- opportunities for collaborative engagement in education research, writing, and presenting
- advocacy in ensuring fairness in policies and practices at all levels
- an ally in minimizing micro-injustices and pursuing organizational trust.
UMSON Diversity Committee
focuses on diversity and inclusion from all angles, including messaging, programs, activities, awareness, and education
Diversified Thinkers Book Club
offers a platform for dialogue, awareness, and collaborative thinking through review of a variety of diverse reading materials
UMSON Community Narrative Center
collects unique stories and creates, develops, and assesses an inventory of different abilities among UMSON faculty, staff, and students, finding ways to bring them together and to leverage their uniqueness for the School’s benefit
work groups focusing on:
- LGBTQIA issues, activities, and activism
- collaborative efforts to grow our capacity in education, learning, and diversity and inclusion competencies
- strategic planning
- identifying and honoring UMSON community members who inspire others and exemplify the UMB core values
an employee resource group that engages in mental, physical, and spiritual fitness
an employee resource group that promotes spirited activities, camaraderie, and morale boosting during the work day and after hours
- second floor
- fourth floor
- Room 202A, open Monday-Friday, 7:15 a.m.-10 p.m. and Saturdays, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Additional Lactation Centers at UMB